Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Enduring Light Teaser #2!

Hey everyone! Enduring Light releases in less than a week, and I decided it was time for a  Kevin teaser. I hope you enjoy it. :)


We pushed open the glass door and stepped into the brutal storm. I anchored Samantha to my side as we made our way up the stairs. Thankfully, our room was only a few doors down. We stumbled inside, closing the door behind us.
I flicked on the lights and took a quick look around the room and the bathroom before locking us in for the night. “So it’s no Ritz Carlton, but it’s better than being out in that storm.”
“Ritz what?”
“Oh, I just mean it’s not fancy.”
“It is fine.” She paused for a second, and I could tell she was deciding whether to say something else.  I waited. I’d learned it was better not to push her. “Thank you for staying with me.”
“Yeah, not really something you have to thank me for. Did you think I’d prefer bunking with Talen?”
She smiled. “Are you ready to sleep, or do you want to clean up first?”
“We should shower. It’s probably going to be a while before we get another chance.” After the words left my mouth, I realized she might think I was implying we do it together. “I mean separately.”
“Of course.” The hint of a smile crossed her lips. “I think I will. Is it a shower like in Alak?”
“Yes. But not as nice. Like I said, this place isn’t fancy.”
“I think I will try it.” She opened her backpack and pulled out a pile of clothes as well as a few bottles that I assumed were shampoo and stuff.
“Have a good shower.” Once the bathroom door closed, I opened the blinds and peered outside. The snow seemed to have picked up more. I stood there for a few minutes watching the swirling snow, then the light flickered. Damn, we were probably going to lose power. No lights and no heat. No lights—Samantha was in the shower.
The water shut off. “Kevin?”
“Yeah, I’m right here,” I answered through the door.
“Are the lights going to go out?”
“Possibly.”
“You should get your shower done then. You can come in.” I grabbed some clean boxers and tentatively opened the door. She was dressed in only a towel, and I forced myself to avert my eyes even though it was the last thing I wanted to do.
“Have a nice shower.” She gave me a knowing smile before slipping out past me.
I took as fast a shower as possible, half out of fear that the lights would go out and half because I wanted to get back out there with Samantha. She was fully dressed when I walked out, and I enjoyed the look of surprise on her face when she saw I was in just my boxers. Considering what she’d just made me see, she could handle me with my shirt off. 


No comments:

Post a Comment