Saturday, September 1, 2012

When Inspiration Strikes...


A year ago I never would have believed I’d be releasing a contemporary romance. Truthfully, a year ago I never would have expected to be releasing a new adult book. I’m the kind of person who loves to plan, and that part of my personality usually spills over into my writing. I’ve had the end of the Afterglow Trilogy planned out since before Beckoning Light released, and I could have told you the ending to Flight ages ago, but Derailed wasn’t even a thought until a few days before I started writing it.

I hesitated at first. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to veer off my carefully planned schedule of book releases, but in the end I had to write it. It started out like my other books. First I developed the characters and everything else fell into place—but it was all so sudden and unexpected. I have to say, I liked it. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t stop with Derailed. I fell in love with Clayton Falls, the tiny coastal town that serves as the backdrop, and I wasn’t ready to leave. The result is that I’ll be releasing a companion novel called Veer in a few months. It’s also a new adult contemporary romance, and features some characters you’ll get to meet in Derailed soon.

So have I learned anything from this experience? Yes. As wonderful as planning is, I’m always going to leave a little room open in my writing schedule in case inspiration hits me unexpectedly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment